Ditch Fillers

We aren't ditch diggers. We are ditch fillers.

It saved us thousands of dollars to connect the new and old wells ourselves. And by "ourselves" I mean my husband and dad-in-law. They rented a trencher and installed the pipe last weekend. But then my hubby started fretting that it might rain before he could fill the trenches back up. Right now, the soil from the trenches is light and sandy. But after a rain, it would be compacted and the job of filling in the trenches considerably more difficult.

So, I offered to fill the trenches while he was at work.

I've always been willing and able to work hard, but after a couple of hours of filling those trenches, I was ready to quit. And only half the job was done. So today, I enlisted the help of the kids. ("There will be ice cream when we're done!")

They cheerfully helped me fill in the rest of the trench (at least the part my husband was ready to have filled in), and even though we were largely working in the toughest area - where the berry brambles were seriously in our way - they didn't complain.

Something I've learned about kids: Generally, they are eager and willing to help if they feel their job is useful and helps the family as a whole. Picking up toys, on the other hand, well - good luck with that!

As you can imagine, I'm now catching up on laundry and other cleaning chores that were difficult to do with the small amount of rainwater and the tiny amount of well water the old well was producing. And oh, the new well water! It's abundant and crystal clear! I really feel the well running dry was a blessing, because the new well is just plain better.


"So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

Matthew 6: 31-33

No comments