30 Nights on a Casper Mattress - Our Review, Plus a Discount

This post contains links to the Casper mattress website. If you click any of these links, you will receive $50 off your mattress order, and I will receive a $50 Amazon gift card. All opinion are my own. Please see FCC disclosure for full information. Thank you for supporting this site!

Either my hubby or I have always been unhappy with our mattress. When we were newlyweds, hubs wouldn't go mattress shopping with me. "Just buy what you like," he said. Famous last words. I chose a very firm mattress that made his back ache. When we moved, we didn't bring that 16 year old mattress with us because it was literally falling apart, and we ended up sleeping on a mattress left behind by the previous owners...which made both our backs ache, it was so hard. (No wonder they left it behind!)

If it had been my decision alone, I probably would have replaced this cast off by shopping a local sale and buying a medium-firmness box spring mattress. But my hubby had had it. His mind was absolutely set on buying a Casper. So I did some research on the mattress, looking mostly at Amazon reviews and mattress review websites. I admit, I was not impressed by what I read. But hubby kept saying, "There's a 100 day return policy. There's no risk of losing our money. A lot of people really love it. I want to try it."

So, I ordered the Casper mattress.


First of All, What is Casper?

If you haven't already heard about this mattress, here's the scoop: Casper mattresses combine memory foam (which offers conformity to the body, and - many people feel - comfort) and latex (which cools the bed, since memory foam can make you sleep hot). Casper mattresses are only available online, and I believe they were the first online mattress company to offer a 100 night trial. (If you decide you don't like the mattress at any time during the trial, just call them up and Casper will remove the mattress from your home for free and return every penny of your money. Returned mattresses go to a local thrift store.) Shipping is free.

Delivery and Set Up
This is how the Casper mattress arrived.

Right away, I had to admit it was fantastic not to have to worry about arranging for mattress delivery. The Casper came via UPS. (Worried about it being stolen? There's an option to have it delivered only if you're home to sign for it.) Our king sized mattress came in a box measuring about 41 in. x 19 in. x 19 in. It was too heavy for me to handle easily, so I let the UPS guy get it into the house. The box looked a bit banged up, but the mattress inside was perfectly fine.

When my hubby got home, he carried the box up the stairs. (Far easier than trying to get a box spring mattress up the stairs.) He immediately took the mattress out of the box and placed it on our box springs. Once he cut open the disposable plastic cover, the mattress instantly began expanding. It took under a minute for the mattress to open up within a minute or two, the mattress appeared fully expanded.

I was surprised it didn't smell like chemcials at all.

The First Night

We ended up sleeping on the mattress within two hours of setting it up.

My hubby, who sleeps mostly on his stomach and back, loved the mattress right away. He said he felt like he was floating on a cloud. The next morning, he said it was the first time in our married life that he hadn't awakened with a back ache.

Setting up the mattress.
My first night's experience was less wonderful. I was really uncomfortable sleeping on my side; the mattress made my hips hurt. I wasn't very comfy on my stomach, either. Once I switched to my back, however, I got comfortable and slept more soundly than I had in many years.

The Second Night

My hubby's alarm didn't go off and he overslept. He never used to oversleep! In fact, pre-Casper mattress, his hurting back always woke him before his alarm went off.

I slept much better the second night. I could sleep on my side, stomach, or back; all were comfortable. My guess is that the mattress had relaxed more by this time - which is why I think it's a good idea to let the mattress sit for at least a day before sleeping on it.

Still, I didn't love the mattress. If I slept on my stomach, I felt like my rear was in the air. If I slept on my side, the mattress felt too hard. I was really only comfortable on my back. But I was really comfortable that way, sleeping deeply and well.

The End of the First Week
The mattress fully expanded.


By the end of the work week, we were completely sold on the mattress.

My body finally got used to the uniqueness of the Casper, and I could now sleep comfortably in any position I desired. My hips didn't hurt, I didn't feel like my rear was in the air...I just felt cozy.

After 30 Nights

Hubby and I both sleep much more deeply than we have on any mattress either of us has ever slept on. My hubby's back doesn't ache in the mornings, and I don't toss and turn, toss and turn like I used to.

It may sound weird, but this mattress is both soft and firm. Firm because it supports your body, but soft because it conforms to it. It's radically unlike a traditional box spring mattress, which is why it took me a while to get used to it. But if the idea of a firm mattress scares you, remember that my hubs has never liked firm mattresses - yet he loves the Casper.

On this mattress, we both feel really well supported, without any part of our bodies being compressed or achy.

The Cons

*It might take you a while to get used to sleeping on this mattress; it's definitely different from a traditional box spring set up.
* Casper offers only one mattress (in all the standard sizes). When you're used to an abundance of choices, this may seem like a con.


The Pros

* Easy delivery and set up.
* No noticeable outgassing.
* Your partner's movement is much less noticeable than with a box spring mattress.
* Excellent body support; the mattress conforms to your body.
* This bed is quiet - not squeaky.
* We haven't felt hot sleeping on this mattress.
* Comes with a 10 year warranty.
* Has a 100 day money back guarantee.
* Made in the U.S.A. 
Discount

If you purchase a Casper mattress through any link in this blog post, you'll get $50 off your order! (And I'll get a $50 Amazon gift card.)



3 comments

  1. do they have a non-latex version? it sounds wonderful but my husband and son are allergic to latex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alley, I believe Casper only makes one mattress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristina,

    Thanks for this. I was reading some reviews but none of them had any discount codes like yours.

    I bookmarked the link and ready to buy at the end of the week, and wanted to say thanks as it's a nice chunk ($50) and it adds up. :)

    ReplyDelete