How to Cut Long Hair...Even Your Own!

A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a mom who said she always cuts her daughter's hair - and her own hair. I was amazed. While I cut my husband's and son's hair, saving at least $600 each year, and while I trim my own bangs, I was too afraid to try giving we long-haired girls a hair cut.

Until this mom explained her simple method of doing it. A bonus: It creates a layered look, which is great for those of us who like a little extra fullness in our hair.

First, I tried my own hair. It worked! Then I cut my daughter's hair. We are both pleased with the result. Here's how we did it.

You'll Need:

A ponytail holder
A comb or brush
Sharp scissors (I recommend hair-cutting scissors, which you can buy for a few dollars at Walmart)
Spray bottle filled with water (optional, but recommended)

Step 2.
How to Cut Long Hair:

1. Damp hair is easiest to cut, so you can either wash your hair and let it partially dry, or spritz your hair with water to make it damp. I recommend the latter, since the cleaner your hair is the harder it can be to handle.

2. Brush your hair into a high ponytail. Think of it as a unicorn's horn;it should be high on the forehead. Secure with a ponytail holder.

3. Lean forward, so the ponytail hangs in front of your face. Comb the ponytail and cut off the desired amount of hair. Sharp scissors are a must here!

4. Brush or comb the ponytail again, and, if needed, straight the cut by taking small cuts.


5. Remove the ponytail holder and brush your hair.

Ta da!
 

No comments